We are pleased to provide helpful information and ways to support your loved ones during this crisis.
What’s happened with ADC visitation?
- On March 13, 2020, the Arizona Department of Corrections (ADC) released a statement suspending in-person visitation at all prison complexes due to concerns of spreading Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Video visitation will be “explored” by ADC but is not available at this time.
How long will visitations be suspended?
- ADC says it is complying with industry standards of the American Correctional Association and the National Commission on Correctional Health Care* in reducing the spread.
- Current Center for Disease Control recommendations include cancelling gatherings of 10 people or more – one reason why visits are closed.
- Visits are suspended until at least April 12,
Staying Connected While Visitations are Suspended
- Sending letters acts not only as a way to communicate, but also gives the person something to look forward to and hold onto as a keepsake.
- You can make your own post cards, find low-cost greeting cards at thrift stores, and use postcard apps like Flikshop.
- PACKAGES CANNOT BE MAILED. If you would like to send a package, you must use the SecurePak system. Review DO 914 Inmate Mail if you have any questions.
- CDs and books can still be mailed through approved vendors.
On March 18, ADC announced that phone provider CenturyLink began providing two free 15-minute phone calls per week.
In September 2019, a tablet program was offered to many ADC facilities under Director’s Instruction 380. It is unclear who does and does not have a tablet.
- AFSC-AZ was unable to locate these matrixes for more detailed information on the standards.
- Friends and family may purchase media credits through the vendor website www.jpay.com
- Fees for JPAY services at ADC are available here: https://corrections.az.gov/inmate-deposits
Ideas for Children with an Incarcerated Loved Ones
- Create a self-mailing letter by folding your letter into an envelope to mail inside! Instructions here!
- Create a storybook! Start a story with just one paragraph and mail it to your loved one. Have the person inside write the next paragraph and mail it back. Continue this pattern, until a full story is written!
- You can also add art/drawings into this project by drawing the story as it is written.
- Make your own Mad-Libs to be exchanged, and then mail them back for review!
If you have any concerns or issues with visitation protocols, please contact us and let us know!