By AFSC-AZ Staff |
The Second Chances, Rehabilitation, and Public Safety Act initiative combines elements of several of the sentencing reform bills that were introduced – and supported by AFSC-Arizona – in the last couple of years, but were blocked from receiving hearings by the opposition or vetoed by the Governor.
The #SecondChancesActAZ will:
- Expand earned release credits from 1 day for every 6 served (roughly 15 percent of one’s sentence) to 1 day for each day served (50 percent) for people convicted of “non-dangerous” offenses;
- Restore judicial discretion in cases involving non-dangerous convictions;
- End the practice of unjustly sentencing people for so-called “Hannah” priors;
- Allow resentencing for eligible petitioners;
- And create a support services fund to reduce unaddressed trauma for first responders who suffer violent harm as part of their jobs.
Visit these Drive-thru Petition Stations and Sign the Petition to get the Second Chances Act on the November Ballot:
Day & Time:
Saturday, May 30
9:00am – 1:00pm (Note time change from last weekend!)
National Association of Letter Carriers
2950 N Country Club Rd, Tucson, AZ
At the drive-thru you can:
- Sign the petition(s);
- Pick up a petition to take home with you and have your friends and family sign (brief training will be available and is recommended);
- And drop off petitions to be notarized.
Note that these stations are shared with three other initiatives: Smart and Safe, Invest in Education, and Healthcare Rising Arizona.
All locations are practicing social distancing and other precautions. Volunteers will wear masks and gloves, and you are encouraged to do the same. Please bring your own pen!
If you can’t make it this weekend, don’t worry!
Drive-thru stations will be open EVERY SATURDAY through June 28.
Check on the Second Chances Facebook Page for details and event announcements: https://www.facebook.com/secondchancesaz
Signature Collection Training Available!
You can sign up via the Second Chances website to participate in an online training on how to safely and successfully collect signatures for the initiative: https://secondchancesaz.com/petition-circulator-training/
We’re excited to see you this weekend! Please bring your friends and family and add your signatures!
Read about the Second Chances initiative.
More Ways to Make a Difference
Get Involved (Become a volunteer.)
Petition Circulation Training (Collect signatures.)
Democracy Drive-Thru (Sign petitions from your car!)